Tuesday, June 26, 2007

6-24-07

More processing of the last days events and my time here has brought me to a little bit different place. I think that my place here is in the classroom. God has gifted me with the passion and ability to teach and I am using what He has given me to help His children in a destitute land. I feel most connected and engaged in the classroom lately and have to cling to that to get me through the other emotions. Also being aware of my disconnect and my displacement here and the impacts I can and do make is very important and I am glad that I can critically think about it. I feel like my purpose here is 2 fold. 1 to offer ideas and methods in the classroom and 2 to empower the teacher I am working with to know that he is worthwhile and what he does is important and that he has expertise and should make his voice heard to make changes (if that is what he wants). The idea of getting an acholi to think critically is a very huge endeavor. A byproduct of oppression is no critical thinking and we are seeing that every day in multiple ways. In the discussion with the ambassadors wife a student asked if the way African Americans dressed was bad. We were a little confused by the question but he wanted us to tell him if it was good or bad. We said what do you think, and he just sort of stared. He didn't want to know what he thought he wanted us to tell him what to think. That happens a lot in the classroom. Students are not taught to question or investigate but are just spoon fed information to memorize for tests. A student asked me to redo a problem once and I said no. I told him he had to show me what he didn't understand because if I just redid it the same way nothing would change. He was so confused.

We went to Holy Rosary church. It was packed out. It was odd because the priest was white and I think from Verona. We sat in the back and side in a sea of kids. It took them a while to get used to our presence but they eventually did. Jamie, an intern that lives with us, did a reading and he is volunteering and singing in the choir so that was neat. Catherine and I discussed that the Christian religion here is sort of an affect of colonialism and therefore oppression. It is hard to take because they think they know but I don't think they do. A lot of people who identify themselves as Christians will, when something really bad happens, go straight to the witch doctor.

Sunday's Doreen is off so we cook dinner together. We made spaghetti and bruschetta. It was yummy and fun to cook. It is an adventure cooking for so many people when there is no running water and you have to boil all the water you use.

Then I tried to watch arrested development on dvd. Not my kind of show.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Honey

Seems like you have so much going on there and in your head Keep your head up I love you and so do many people

Love

Mom

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have had a lot of personal growth and insight. Keep thinking through and processing what you are experiencing there. We will pray that the Lord will bless your struggle and provide you with peace and greater understanding.

Amanda & Tommy

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! I love reading your blogs and staying up to date with everything going on. I love you and I am praying for you! I can't wait to hear in person all of the amazing things that God is teaching you! Love you!
-Margaret

Anonymous said...

Hey Honey

Its mom Just checking in on you I will be calling you again tomorrow Just wanted to say hi and hope you are doing good Love you

Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Danielle,
Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know how proud I am of what your doing in Africa. I understand your having alittle struggle with the purpose of your trip. Danielle just share the love of Jesus to those children and all you come in contact with. That is God's plan for us all to share his love and word with those less fortunate around the world.Just pray as we are prayering for you to touch many that you come into contact with. Be Safe and God Bless

In Christ Love,

Gary Smoak

Anonymous said...

thinking of you often and praying for you. be encouraged by god's unending love, unimaginable strength, and unexplainable peace.

love you,
amy

Traci said...

Danielle,
Hey!! I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of you. I have checked your posts periodically to see how things were going. Take care and see you soon!!

Traci