Tuesday, June 5, 2007

WAY UPDATE

I want to start by saying that I was so touched by reading the comments that have already been posted! I felt kind of bad that I didn’t blog more so I am going to try to do better. I can type up entries on word and then take my laptop to the internet café and copy and paste them. So I am going to recap the past few days and then have more organized blogs (:

Travel – sat june 2 2007 – mon june 4 2007
I didn’t sleep much last night. My mom came and stayed in my ransacked apartment. I spent my morning getting the mail key and last minute packing. My mom got panera for breakfast and people came over to pray and wish me well. I am soo thankful to everyone who came and prayed and called. It meant so much to me to have people I love show their support and love before I left. Mom and Michelle took me to the airport. My mom handled it well. I called people from the airport. I flew from Charlotte to Atlanta to JFK. From JFK I had to wait for my luggage for an hour then got caught behind some situation at the passport line and had to wait there forever. We decided we needed to go straight from there to security but since we were hungry we would stop quickly but just take it through. I asked the lady if I could take yogurt and she said I could. I was really excited about it and took a few bites before we got to security. Sadly they told me I couldn’t take it and I had no time to eat it so I had to throw it away. Sad. The plane was stikin amazing! They gave you socks, headphones, and all sorts of things. They give kids toys and things. The seats have touch screens in front of them that you can play games on against other passengers and just by yourself, watch movies, listen to the radio, listen to certain music, and watch a camera that is on the front of the plane and underneath the plane. We were all in awe and my team thought my comments were hilarious.
The flight was 13 hours long. They kept feeding us so much. The food was pretty good though so I didn’t mind. It is hard to sleep on a plane, luckily seth and bryan didn’t mind me leaning on them and yoga has made me more flexible (: The plane had tons of rows of 3 then 4 then 3 seats so 10 across. First class is crazy! They sit and lay in pods! They have personal fridges. 2 people Kevin and Emma, who are married, got bumped up to business class which is right under first class and they got champagne and ordered from a menu and everything.
We got to know each other pretty well because we were beside each other for so long. Here is a little brief about each of my teammates:
Amy is our leader. She is a Ph.D. candidate at NYU in Educational Theater. She works for Invisible Children and thought up and organized the teacher exchange. She knows the guys who made the dvd. She has a 5 year old named Hero (:
Kevin and Emma (Ammee) are married. Kevin is a professor at NYU and is over the 3 students from NYU who get credit for this trip. Emma is a midwife and will be working in a different part of the city. They will be staying in a different place too.
Phil is a Professor at Boise State University. He has 3 girls and is great. Super smart and always a step ahead.
Bryan is an english teacher and soccer coach from Mississippi who will be moving to Houston to teach and coach. He is a sweet guy.
Margo is my partner in crime already. We have been doing pretty much everything together and order the same things to eat all the time. She is one of the students from NYU and getting her masters in educational theater. She majored in Spanish and theater and reminds me a lot of Bethy. She has been all over the world.
Seth is also from NYU and in the same program. He is hilarious and it seems if something goes wrong it happens to him or me (:
Catherine is also in the program but she met us in Kampala. She was in Kenya visiting her boyfriend.

We spent sunday night in Dubai. It’s in the United Arab Emmerates. It is a city under construction. Apparently there is a man-made lake and island. We went to this huge mall with a ski slope in it! It was neat to ride around the city a bit and walk around the mall and stretch our legs. Our cab driver was a bit crazy. He was very tired on the way back and was falling asleep at the wheel. He took us the wrong way and then went out the in of the drive. We thought we were going to get in an accident. He got honked at a lot. It was nice to get a hot shower and sleep in a hotel to break up the trip. We wont be doing anything like that on the way back so it will be tough.


The 7 hour flight from dubai was fine. We stopped in Ethiopia but didn’t even deplane. The plane wasn’t as nice but it was still fun. Margo and I just played games and watched parent trap.
Arriving in Entebbe Uganda was really awesome. I kept thinking “o my gosh I am in Africa” I kept saying it too (: We walked off of the plane and through the visa line and waited on our luggage. We got carts and hauled it all to the outside where we found James our special hire who drove us to Kampala to backpackers hostile. I am so glad we got to drive. We saw the countryside and got to just feel the wind in our hair and smile because we were in AFRICA!



About 10 minutes after we arrived we were putting up our stuff and Kevin walks in and says "hey you guys want to see some monkeys?"

We had a short orientation and a traditional Ugandan dinner because Monday nights is Ugandan special night. We had buttermashed mattooke, grilled cassava, and veggies (sautéed veggies in a red sauce and spinach). It was absolutely delicious.
Sleeping under a net was an experience. I didn’t notice the net at night but I didn’t sleep too well because I kept waking up and people kept turning on the lights and such.
I woke up about 5 and saw Bryan getting up, apparently I thought he was Seth and asked accusingly if he was Seth, funny, then got up a few minutes later. I got Bryan’s flashlight from him because I didn’t pack one (bought one today don’t worry) and fished out my shower stuff and went to take a shower. The shower wasn’t hot but it wasn’t cold. We found out that we were just too early to get the hot water because they hadnt started the fire yet.
Margo, Bryan, and I were up early so we sat and read and talked and watched the sunrise! It was something to behold!

Then we went to Garden City in Kampala and got money (1655 shillings per $1). I got juice, flashlight, and garlic pills (sharing with Margo). We also got cell phones. To call me get an international phone card and dial 011 for the international call 256 for the country code and 712094483 for the number. We are 7 hours ahead and I will be able to talk after 5 most days so that’s after 12 east coast time.
Then we went to Pap Café for lunch and headed to Lubiri Secondary School to observe the 3rd best school in the country. It was amazing how little this school had for being the 3rd best. It really puts things into perspective. I was also surprised at how similar these kids were to mine. They were talkative and giggly when the teacher was teaching and seemed to be interested in similar things that my kids are.
Phil, Bryan, and I walked back to backpackers. We all just hung out and chilled for a bit. We had dinner and debriefed about the day and now we are just taking it easy til we go to bed. We are trying to stay up late so we will sleep past 5.
Tomorrow we ride to Gulu. it is going to be a LONG ride so please pray that we can make it and not get sick or have too many troubles. (:

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Thank you so much for the update! It makes us feel closer to you. You said you're 7 hrs. ahead and can talk after 5 most days. You said that would be after 12 east coast time. If it's 5 PM your time, wouldn't it be 10 AM our time? I don't know...I'm really bad at math. I might be missing something!

jimmy (dge.y.m.ie) said...

5+7=12

Word.

Good to hear all is well Danielle. We'll be praying for big things!

Unknown said...

those pics are awesome.
i love the sunrise picture! i am so glad that you made it safely and everyone is really nice.
yeah get back with us with the time thing. keep up the blogging. i agree with michelle it makes it seem like you aren't so far away.
keep with the good work,and God Bless. i will keep praying for you.
lantz

Kylie said...

Camp is crazy busy, so I was just able to read all this today! I am so glad to hear from you and that things are going well. I am so excited (and a little jealous:))! Jayden is still talking about going to Africa, too! Maybe she will someday. We look forward to talking to you and will keep praying for you! Love you lots!

Anonymous said...

Hey Honey

Glad to hear everything is going good Be carefull though and always stay with your group Make sure you take your meds everyday dont want you to get sick Love you and I am glad that you are getting to have one of the best experiences of your life right now

Mom

David Johnson said...

D,
Wow...what a trip so far. I am relieved to see that you are safe and enjoying things. Know that I continue to pray for you as you begin your work now. Thanks again for taking the time to hang out before you left...I really enjoyed it! The alarm clock working for ya? Miss ya and praying for ya....
You go, Girl!
DJ

AER said...

We loved reading your update. Sounds amazing so far!!
Keeping you in our prayers!

Amanda & Tommy

erin said...

Danielle! I am so glad you are safe and sound. I have been talking to Dad for you. Greetings from Singapore;) I am that as far away from you as the people back home are:)

Malinda from JWH said...

Daniellle,
I have been reading all your blogs (probably because your mom asks me like every 20 minutes...maybe 20 seconds...if you have any updates) and I have been extremely nervous to write to you mostly because I didn't know what to write. You are truly an inspiration. One day you will have children and this experience is sealing a world changing and wonderful future for them. I look forward to hearing stories of your experiences and the Ugandan culture so that I can tell me daughter who is now 2 1/2. You are not even a mother yet (unless you count being a mother to your mom on occassion...ok most of the time) and I can already see what a wonderful mother you will be. I and every one here at Jim Walter Homes are so proud of you. Continuing to pray, Malinda Salters

Anonymous said...

Hey Honey

Havent seen anything yet from you since this Hope you are doing well Taking your meds and being carefull Have to keep saying that I love you I think of you every minute of the day I know I can hear you saying to yourself Mom everyting is fine dont worry about me so much But hey I have to Love and hugs

mom

Christian said...

Who would have thought that you could be sending blog entries from the middle of Africa! Times are certainly changing.
I'm soooo jealous you got to see Dubai. That is one amazing city. They actually have man made islands shaped like palm trees out in the ocean that you can see from space!
I'm glad everything is going well so far. You'll remember this always!
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are doing so well. Having this blog is so awesome! My mom (Katie Mcdonald) said it was intresting, but it is actually like you're closser. You are such an inspiration to 12 year old girls like me. You going to Africa makes me think about other countries and there cultures. I hope your time there is memorable to you and the people aruond you.:)