Saturday, June 16, 2007

6-9-07 My co-teacher

Yesterday we had a big dinner to meet everyone in our school. Vincent Ochang the DEO of Gulu was there (I met him at displace me in Atlanta). It was nice to have a time together to get started and meet.

My co-teacher's name is Patrick. He and I are a good fit I think. He is up to trying new things but still uses his judgment to rein me in and remind me that we have 70 boys 2 classes and 120 girls in another. We seem to be able to communicate fairly well. He is not acholi, he is from a different tribe in the north. It is neat because he is learning about the culture and language as I am. One of our students, victory, made me a small lwo dictionary and I think she is going to add to it. So sweet.

Patrick and I had lunch together after a tour of the high school. Things are so spread out. We went to a buffet place and ate with another munu (moonew) who was working with different ngo's. it was interesting to hear him talk about his experiences.

I walked around town by myself today. It was really nice to feel independent and really interact with the people.

No comments: