Saturday, June 9, 2007

internet

so the internet here is so slow and hard to get to and such. so i wont be able to post many pictures til i get back to kampala maybe or even the states. be sure to check in though for updates and then the pictures later. i will try to insert a few now and then.
i have a blog already written but it didnt save like i thought it did. i will get it again and bring it to the cafe and post it soon. we have been so busy meeting people and learning about the culture and things but it has been so good. today i spent a long time with my teaching partner patrick. he seems great.
people here are so friendly. i am learning some of the language and people are so kind when you try to speak it to them. they are honored even. the kids here are way cuter than i had anticipated and yall know how cute i already thought they were. the little girls just want to hold you hand and walk with you and your heart melts.
i found out that i will be teaching S1 which is mostly the age that i teach in the states so i am so excited! i met a few of the students today. my classes are from 70 to 140 is the largest...all girls.
some highlights have been the people i am here with. they are so fun and we have a quote book that has already made me laugh reading it. i met jacob from the dvd. the one who cried grieving over his brother and jolly (bottle opener) and her dad. jolly is not portrayed justly in the dvd. she is an amazingly talented, educated, eloquent woman who is pationate about gulu and making it a better place and reserving the culture.
well my next post will be much better because i will write it before hand instead of in this very hot cramped internet cafe.
o o o the award for the first call in gulu goes to the amazing michelle! i love you!
forgive me that the next blog will repeat some of this (:

11 comments:

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

I can't believe you met Jacob and Jolly!!!! I can't wait to hear if Jacob has any more hope since IC has been so involved in their country! I love you too!! :)

Anonymous said...

I just got home and settled in from our trip to FL with my mom. It was nice to see my brother and let him see and spend time with Luke. We did find out the day before we left that Jett is a boy! We are so excited that he will have a brother. .... I can't believe you are in Africa! I am so proud to know you and be your friend. You are an amazing Godly woman and I love you. Be safe and we will continue to pray for you and all the people you meet. Your Eternal family is thinking of you and can't wait to see you and hear about this amazing trip... God is so good, so much more then we deserve....
thank you for this blog it makes me feel close to you!!!
Heather Shelton

Anonymous said...

Hey Honey

Its Mom Good to hear that you are doing fine You didnt let me know if you are remembering your meds I guess you are though I havent seen the dvd on Jacob I would like to so I would know what you are talking about Bottle opener? I love you I really enjoy reading your updates this is so exciting take care honey

mom

Jennifer said...

It is SO amazing that you met Jacob!- I saw that and it brought tears to my eyes. I love when God shows us something full circle. I didn't tell you before you left, but I am so proud of you, Danielle! Continue to have a great time (like I have to tell you- ?!) and take in every moment. Those kids are so blessed to be able to see your shiny happy face every day! I love you and I'm praying for you!
Jen

Anonymous said...

Hey Honey

Just checking on you to see how your are doing How are the classes I bet its a whole different situation teaching there than teaching in the states I cant imagine all the wonders that you are seeing Let us know whats going on Love you very much take care

mom

Darby said...

I'm glad that your having a wonderful time in Africa. I know you will help the teachers and kids in a huge way. Thanks for the love letters you left around the house. They were sweet. I took the rectangular kitchen table apart. It was wobbly no matter how tight I tightened the bolts. I got Buffy's table and it fits nicely. I brought blue dishes from Columbia. Weird news... I never found our pots, pans, or mixing bowls. I asume we threw them away by accident. I am going to get Buffy's old pots, pans, and mixing bowls so no worries. Your room is still a mess. (well, mine is too.) I hope to get it somewhat organized before you come home. Buffy's wedding is a week and a half away. I rode with Eric to Columbia last weekend. He is so excited about the wedding. Well...you kow what I mean. Hehe! Lauren got her digital bridal pictures back and they are beautiful.I haven't gotten to see the picture on the stone wall yet so I'll let you know how that one turns out. I hope it is amazing. That was a tough but fun photo shoot. I miss you!

I'm gonna put some pictures of our messy place and such for you to see on my blog.
http://sweet7sour.blogspot.com

Bethy said...

hey, lady!

it's so great to hear you're there and safe. i know God will use you in amazing ways and i can't wait to share stories (about peru and gulu). i'll wear my bracelet to remind me to pray and think of you and the kids. i went to an IC benefit show the other night where they showed the video, and it's so different knowing someone over there. i hope you learn lots and i can't wait to see you!

love,
bethy

alexandra said...

you are my hero, danielle. i love you. many of us are joining you in prayer, dear one.

Anonymous said...

praying for you every day, danielle! i hope all is well, and i hope that God is blessing your servant heart as much as imagine He is. much love!

Slish said...

Danielle! I've got like 23 magnets on my fridge...so I'm prayin for ya! I can't believe that you have 70+ kids per class! Insanity! I'll have to pray extra for that!

..."Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil"

I love ya dear friend! :)