Wednesday, July 4, 2007

6-31-07

Catherine and I went to Gulu High for church. It is a sort of blend of catholic and protestant service but it was super great. It is organized and led by the students! There was singing and dancing and clapping and it felt like an African service. The priest didn't even show up and the students still did the reading and singing and such. It was soo great. I am so glad that I went. I got to see some of my students and really worship in Africa!

We came back and I went and got fruit to take to Grace's (the dance teacher). She had Catherine, Seth, Margo, Jamie, and me over for lunch because we had helped with dance. Seth, Margo, and Jamie went earlier and killed 2 chickens! It was really an experience! She let me help with the rice and pour the water to wash everyone's hands. Her husband told us stories. It is really hard to listen to acholi stories in a hot cramped house after a meal in the middle of the day. I was struggling to stay awake but it was still such a cool time.

Then we went to HEALS to see the kids dance and the mural that the girls painted. It is really a neat place. It is an organization that Jolee started for kids and moms and such.

Then we went shopping for dinner and made Mexican. I really love the Sunday dinner tradition. I love that it gives Doreen the day off and that we spend time together preparing food.

I was pretty tired early so I just went to bed early. Amy came in after I had sort of fallen asleep and gave me a letter! Michelle wrote me a letter! It was so great to get! It was just a short sweet note but I definitely cried. Some of you know that I cant take things when I first wake up and it really just touched me and was so great to feel so close to the people I love again. It was so exactly what I needed right then. It had actually come Friday but Amy forgot to give it to me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Honey

Just got through reading your blogs Your pictures look great Cant wait to see all the pictures that you have taken Keep up the good work You will be home soon Love you very much

Mom

alexandra said...

you are my hero.

Anonymous said...

God is so good!!! This is amazing that we are able to stay connected to you this way when you are so far away. We sure do miss you and can;t wait to see you .... We will continue to pray for God's will to be done. You really are amazing!

Love you,
Heather Shelton
ps.... Michelle rocks

Anonymous said...

Hey D,

Do you have a lay over at all in ATLANTA? I am just wondering to see if I should go there to see you or if you will just be running from one terminal to the next and I should be in Charlotte. If you can let me know.

Chrl

Kylie said...

Hey Danielle!

I woke up this morning with a heavy burden to pray for you. It has been with me all day, I would love to call to see what's going on, but I still haven't gotten a card . . . sorry I'm so slack. Anyway, just wanted you to know that you have been in my prayers today! I love you!

Kylie