Wednesday, July 4, 2007

6-25-07 Monday

I think that weekend downtime gives us all a lot of time to reflect and think critically about why we are here and our impact. We have all been struggling with these issues: are we doing more harm than good, are we here for just us? Bryan and I had a really good discussion and I kind of came to the conclusion that we have to rely on God and the fact that He brought us here and He will take care of us and use us in whatever He has planned and whatever that is will work out to our good and the good of those here. I know that some of you have been worried for me and I hope that is an encouragement to you because it sure was to me!

Catherine and I went to Holy Rosary, a Catholic church here in Gulu. Then we had a discussion about how we felt that religion felt like a product of colonialism. The service did not feel African at all. It felt totally out of place and fake. It is scary to say but it is the way we both felt. I saw some people who really seemed into it but I just don't know. It is sad to know that a lot of people who identify themselves as Christians will go to the witch doctors and such if something really bad happens. Sometimes it just feels like the people are mimicking the white man- which is straight from colonialism and oppression.

My tummy hurts and Catherine and I think we might have worms…yikes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey! its jessi carroll. i have been meaning to tell you that my compassion girl, Mukandeyisenga is in Uganda. she is beautiful. she has short hair as do most i am sure. anyways. you may already be back and i just don't know it, but if not. keep an eye or ear out for the name. it would be a small coincidence, but possible if you met her. she is around 12 years old. hope all is well. keep it up! see you soon!!!