Monday, July 12, 2010

I am safe

I want to first assure everyone that I am safe, the teachers exchange teacher's and I are all safe here in gulu.
Sunday night there were two terrorist attacks in Kampala. From the information we have they are from Somalia and bombed a rugby field and an ethiopian restaurant. There are conflicting numbers so far but we are sure that a roadie (volunteer who travels around the states talking about IC) was killed. He came 2 weeks earlier than the group to visit some people in Kampala. We are all very sad here to have lost one of our family. I will keep you updated on any travel changes or more news but for now please just pray for all those that have been affected by this tragedy.

This is the information the embassy sent out:
On 11 July 2010 at approximately 2310 local time, a bomb exploded at The Ethiopian Village restaurant, which was filled with spectators watching the World Cup finals match. Approximately 10 minutes later, a second explosion occurred at the Rugby Club, also crowded with customers watching the soccer match. Initial reports indicate that at least 13 people were killed at the Ethiopian restaurant. At least 40 were reported by the police as killed at the rugby club site. Many others were reported injured at both locations. At least one American was reported killed in the blasts.

5 comments:

Chuck said...

Thanks for the quick update. I know all us parents were worried, but knew that it happened 'down south' in Kampala. Still, we're parents, and that's our job to be worried.
- TKP's Dad

steph said...

i love you, danielle! i'm glad you're safe.

Mom said...

Honey thank God you are safe.. You little ______. Making me worry about you even more. Michelle called me just now she is so sweet. Trying to give me a heads up on this so I wouldnt worry. I can not stress how much that bothered me I know you are not close but still... I love you please please please take care of yourself.....

MOM

Michelle said...

Praise the LORD you are safe!!!!! My heart is rejoicing in your safety, but my prayers will be with the families who lost their loved ones. I love love love you, Danielle!

heather shelton said...

I love you and we are so thankful that your ok, my heart goes out to the families that lost a loved one in such a horrible act.