Tuesday, June 15, 2010

same but different

so first i am here in kampala (central uganda) safe and sound. i left charlotte at 1 pm on sat. and just so happened that i was sitting right across the aisle from lisa, one of the teachers. so we got off together and met up with lindsay, another teacher, they knew eachother from last summer, and had dinner and checked in. the flight to london was not too bad but there was a lot of turbulance, i thought of amy, she would not have enjoyed that (: but i was able to sleep. then we landed in london on sunday morning and catherine, amy, and karen (staff intern for the summer) had lunch and our first staff meeting. i am super excited about my new roles this summer. then we boarded the plane for uganda. unfortunately the flight was really rough and i did not sleep so i was super tired today when we landed (monday) we had a full day of shopping, school visit and dinner, but luckily we found time to squeeze in a much needed nap. after dinner (which was the first of my duties, to get the reservations and money situated) we headed back to the hostel, where i am now.
its been a different kind of transition than i was anticipating. i mean i knew i would miss my people but there is also learning what it means to be in this different role with the teachers as well. i am looking forward to being able to serve them and show them love, but that takes a constant dependance on God and a laying down of self. i was praying earlier praising God for the opportunit to die to self and work here solely for Him and His glory, to be a vessel of love and grace and generousity because of how He fills me (:
also!! i have had tons of opportunities to talk about the Lord! there is a sweet married couple (only one year, she is 25 and i think he is around that same age) that love the Lord and she and i got to talk along with nathan about what we believe about mission work, i got to pray with allison who's luggage is still in transit, and talk with karen about what she believes about truth.
stories
- i am already falling and hurting myself (surprise)! everyone has picked up on it already and they arent suprised when it happens
-we went to a little cafe in london that didnt have half of the items on the menu. we laughed and said "are we in london or gulu?"
-lindsay is HILARIOUS! she can make me laugh like ben from chicago! i love being around her!
updates
-my official title is legistics officer (i think (: )
-my ankle is hurting but it is ok
-i have gone poo twice (praise God!)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hooray! praise the Lord you are there, safe and sound!! I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying your team. I am pumped for your new role and think it is the perfect fit. You love people so well D; those teachers are about to get spoiled rotten with your goodness! Praise the Lord you have gotten to share so much and pray so much. PRAY and PRAY!! I am praying for you daily and want you to know how loved you are. Oh, and praise the Lord for 2 poos!! He is committed to every single details, huh :)

Things are good here.. we had our first orientation yesterday and I had a great time. Reminded me why I love these students. Cindy and I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and she bought me an "L" cup like yours and hers! She said I had to have one as the new house member. SO SWEET! We had a great night shopping and sharing life stories. But--we miss you!!

Thanks for your wonderful, funny notes around the house. WE laugh often at those!

Love you lady!!

Leah

Michelle said...

Thank you for your faithfulness, to God, to us, and to those you are serving with and over!!! LOVE you!!

Kylie said...

I love you and know how well you love, so I know you will do well loving the teachers! We are praying for you daily! Keep sharing stories and ways to pray!

Ben said...

Uhhhh.. I hate to doubt, but make you laugh like I do? Hmmm. This sounds like a challenge. Still, Danielle, I'm nervous about the people around you. Man scout and I found out the truth about when people say they "laugh so hard they pee their pants" on our hike last summer. Just sayin.

I'm so mad at myself for not getting to talk to you before you took off. I unfortunately am still teaching and the last few weeks have been hectic. All the same, I will make up for it with frequent posts and lots of prayer. You're a tremendous vessel and as long as you trust in him and eat your fiber, the trip should be a good one.

Also, logistics officer? Did they hear about how you rationed our food on the AT? Completely unnecessary. Those bags were heavy as h, and you still made us lick our bowls clean. I hope these new teachers packed some extra cliff bars away ;)

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update, you are so loveable, I am sure they are all wondering how they lived this long without knowing you=) keep sending prayer requests... love you
Heather

Mom said...

Hey honey so glad to hear that you made it alright. Well of course you did I never would have doubted it but being your mother I still worry about you. Another adventure for you wow. Just take care of yourself honey and eat your fiber. LOL!!!