Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Latest

Ok so I have sort of lost track of what I have posted about. It’s funny because it is not hard to get online anymore in Gulu. There are actually internet cafés with wireless! Nuts! And today Richard did something to my computer so now I think I can get wireless at the office, but days seem so long that I forget what happened instead it is sort of just a stream of events in my head. Sort of like the stream of items on the ever growing to-do list I carry around. It’s funny to see how different people organize things differently. Catherine carries around a numbered list of things and just keeps adding to it. She numbers it and just keeps adding to it. I on the other hand cross it off throughout the day and add to it and then at the end of the day rewrite the things I still need to do and start over the next day with a clearer list.

Hmm Sunday was interesting. I didn’t get to go to worship but I read a little by myself in the morning and started the day a little slower than the others. Then Catherine and I went to the internet café where we got coffee and did work online for like 3 hours. Then Catherine went to st. jude’s (orphanage) and I went with Karen to the market to buy things for the camp.

So its hard to be in the market and know that you are getting the munu price. Its hard on lots of levels because one you don’t want your presence to negatively affect the price of things and make it harder for others to get things, also you don’t want to haggle someone out of their profits. I think for me Sunday the biggest thing was I just wanted to communicate that I was there serving. I just wanted us all to be human for a minute together, not American and Acholi or first world and third world or developed and under developed just human. That’s the hard part, its hard and rare to get to the place here with locals that you are both just human. Honestly I think its hard to get there with anyone. We all look at eachother and look at ourselves with certain lenses. I was praying that I could see with the Lord’s eyes and experience with His attitude and heart. Thoughts?

Sunday night we met up with the high schoolers at the Ethiopian place right down the road from our house for dinner. It was delicious food and good times. Catherine and I ended up sitting outside with two IC staff who were chaperoning the kids. One of them was actually a roadie who stayed at the volunteer house with us the first year in Gulu. It was fun that our paths crossed again.

Today was the teachers’ first day at their schools. They all, the ones who were actually at school, had interesting stories. I am especially excited for the teachers at Keyo SS. The school is far away but it sounds like the staff at that school is great and the American teachers (lisa, Lindsay, and Amanda) are great as well. I spent most of the day at the office doing budget stuff, emails, meetings, and trying to get money from finance. We sent the teachers out to Pabbo and Catherine went with them to get them all squared away.

Tomorrow I lead my first round table and finish up some emails and such. I get to go back to my old school Gulu High (:

3 comments:

Michelle said...

You asked for thoughts. I've been trying to process this lately...thinking about how we (as humans) are constantly interpreting our world. We watch others and interpret what is good/bad, cheesy/cool, worthwhile/useless, etc. Our behavior and world-view is shaped by these interpretations. Only when both parties involved in an encounter see things through the lens of the gospel will we just be able to be human together. In Heaven, we won't look to each other to interpret our world anymore.

Unknown said...

yes, that is so tough to swallow. i was actually thinking about this in light of my orientation program here at Winthrop. Even in the midst of the US, our students walk in and scope out the room to see if TRiO is a white program or a black program. I had a more privileged white student walk in and his mom seemed to immediately discourage his participation because he didn't seem to fit? makes my heart cringe and then i quickly realize that i am equally gross. you're so right michelle, longing for heaven!! seeing through the eyes of Jesus :) what a glorious day that will be!! may he give us his eyes here to love people well. :)

love your stories d and how you really allow the Lord to use what you are going through because you are taking the time to process it all. the Lord honors that so much!! I love you to pieces!

Anonymous said...

Man I miss you! And talk about an evidence of grace... it is so beautiful to see someone immediately turn to the Lord and ask Him how He would see someone or interpret a situation, rather than making assumptions or doing what is comfortable. It is so encouraging to hear you ask those questions... and yes, Michelle! And how amazing to think that while we are here we, by the power of the Holy Spirit, have the privilege of striving to transform this earth into a place that looks a little more like heaven... awesome. :)

PS-Danielle, last night I sat down to read over my notes for small group... and woke up at 7pm... um, oops. ;) I need you to keep me straight! Love you! :)
-diana